Monday, April 5, 2010

Lazy Easter Sunday

I really didn't do much packing today, it is easter after all and I was on kid duty whilst Ian packed up lots of shed stuf (read lots of crap everywhere).  So I had a lazy day with the kids.  I recently discovered a lovely Blog mainly about knitting, cooking and life in general (A Friend to Knit With)  I have been drooling over all the knitting and especially the lovely cookies this lady bakes.  Well yesterday I tried one of the recipes,   Here is a metric conversion for you.

Slice and Bake Cookies
Ingredients:
450gms brown Sugar (16 oz)                                   2 Cups oats
450 gms melted butter (4 sticks/1 lb)                   2 Cups Corn Flakes
2 Cups sugar                                                                    4 Cups Flour
4 Eggs                                                                                 2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Vanilla                                                                     2 tsp Baking Powder

Directions
Mix in order (1st column then second column). You are looking for the consistency of a plyable dough (may need to increase or decrease your flour)
Add nuts if desired.
Roll into logs and wrap in wax paper
Chill for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Bake at 180 c (350 f) for 10-14 minutes

Dough can be stored in the freezer for later use.

Check out the orginal here Slice and Bake Cookies (at the end of the page)
This was the best idea,  I got about 9 logs out of it and put them straight into the freezer.  Then when you want to use them just pull them out cut along the log to make circles and off you go.  I wrapped mine in baking paper and then the sheet I needed was even ready to go - so easy. 
This is the outcome of 1 log - I got 9 logs total.  You could probably make them a little bit bigger but I like them this size becuase of course the little chicklets like to take 2 at a time.I can not believe that I haven't come across this idea in any of my Aussie cook books - its great.  Here are some picies (yes I need work on my log shapping).  Try them they are yummy and such a good idea for the school holidays.  Enjoy and don't forget to check out A friend to knit with's blog.

1 comment: